If you're a homeowner and you're dealing with black mold in your home, you're not alone. This growth thrives in many homes and causes a lot of damage both to the home and to your health. Many homeowners don't know just how badly it can affect you though. Here are the dangers of black mold that you need to be aware of.
How Black Mold Gets into Your Home
As careful as you are, black mold spores find it very easy to get into your home and start growing. They can come in on the breeze through open windows, carried in on your pets' coats, or even on your clothes. That alone isn't enough to let it start growing, though. If there isn't enough moisture, the spores can't take hold and start growing. That's why you shouldn't be afraid to open windows and allow air in, even if there's the risk of letting spores in too.
The Health Dangers of Black Mold
If there's black mold in your home, then it's causing damage to your family's health. Even if you're all fairly healthy, you could be at risk of developing Mycotoxicosis, more commonly known as 'mold poisoning'. It often shows up resembling symptoms of cold and flu, including:
If there's black mold in your home and you're experiencing these symptoms, it could well be mold poisoning.
As you would imagine, anyone in the family with allergies, asthma, or issues that affect their immune system can suffer more with black mold poisoning. They may suffer the following:
You can see just how serious this is. That's why it's so important to limit your exposure to black mold, and if it does develop in your home, to investigate mold clean-up as soon as possible.
The Dangers Black Mold Holds Towards Your Home
Of course, the health of your family is the most important thing when it comes to dealing with black mold. However, it's also important to remediate mold as it can cause serious damage to your home's structure. This is especially true if it gets into wooden structures, such as your attic beams or your decking. If the mold gets a good hold in the wood, it will eat into it, making it unstable. In the worst-case scenario, you may need to spend a lot of money repairing the damage.
Mold is also a sign that there has been water damage in the home. In these cases, the mold itself isn't causing damage, but it's a sign that there's underlying issues. It often happens when there have been floods or leaks in the home, and it hasn't properly been dried out. As mold spores need moisture to thrive, then they've easily start growing in these spots. Once you've dealt with the mold remediation, you'll need to find the cause of the water damage and rectify it.
How to Clean Up Black Mold
If you have black mold in your home, you'll need to have it treated right away. If it's only a small patch, then it's something that you can handle yourself. All you need to do is get some bleach and add to a bucket of water in a 1-part bleach to 8 parts water solution. Use that solution to scrub away at the mold until it's totally removed.
If it's a larger infestation though, you'll need to call on a professional restoration company to handle it for you. They will have the right tools and experience to remove the mold safely. They'll also be able to find every last bit of mold, so you won't find an outbreak again several weeks later.
How To Prevent Black Mold
Now that you've removed the black mold from your home, you want to stop it happening again. There are some simple steps to take that will result in the protection of your property.
The top tip is to prevent the build-up of moisture in your home. That's easier said than done in areas such as your bathroom, but you can do it. If the bathroom fan isn't up to the task, look into having it replaced. Open windows when you can to encourage circulation and ensure that you're dealing with any leaks as soon as you spot them.
Now you can see why black mold is such a huge problem in anyone's home. There are so many reasons why it's a danger to both the home and your health. Luckily, it's easy to deal with if you spot it. Call in a professional mold removal service, and they'll ensure that all traces are removed.